Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Suhaila in Denver!

I sponsored Suhaila here in Denver for a Level 1 workshop October 1-3, 2010. I choose a level specific workshop over a variety because it was how I first experienced Suhaila and I found it invaluable to know the beginning. I knew exactly what I was lacking and what I needed to work on.

I was so impressed by the participants dedication. It was exciting to see everyone working so hard and asking very good questions. I had tears in my eyes at the end to see such a successful workshop coming to an end.

Myself and one other participant where already level I certified, so Suhaila had us up our game and had us doing level II work as we went around the room. After awhile we would try to guess what Suhaila was going to have us add on or change the timing or feet. I think we came up with some doozies...but the ones Suhaila came up with made me laugh often. It did feel good to know that my body has level I in it.

What has really hit me through all my training so far is the fact that I struggle through most of the rotations around the room. I know I have really learned something if I get it on the very last leg. That is when I feel successful. The rest of the way was figuring it out...starting...stopping...slowing it down...sometimes just doing the feet...all the tricks it takes to get it. I also found out that when I really start to struggle I count louder....laughing...I had no idea I did this.

Stacey Lizette was so wonderful to get to know a little better. I have always admired her dancing. (Those of you that don't know...I went to grad school in Austin, TX, and I used to see her around town. I was way to chicken at the time to approach her or take any classes from her.) It is a joy to see how much she has grown. She shared with the workshop participants her level IV choreography. I was completely blown away by her. And, then her performance in the show was also stunning. If you are in Austin you have to look her up! http://www.staceylizette.com/ (and yes you can tell her I sent you)

Sponsoring this workshop has upped my own game. I feel the need to work harder toward my level II certification. These are what I have done since the workshop and what I am doing to work toward.

1. I have found a pacing partner to help keep me accountable to what I am doing.
2. I have made a date every Thursday, with another Level 1 participant who is working toward their level II, to work through a level II online class.
3. I work through a Level I online class each Monday morning, but doing it all full time. I do this with a friend who enjoys Suhaila's belly dance technique, but who does not ever plan on testing or performing.
4. Perfect the Level II choreography. I need to get the finger cymbals down!!!!
5. Perform the Level II choreography, with finger cymbals, twice before testing in August. Denver folks watch out...you may see these choreography more and more!

Talking with Suhaila after the workshop she helped me to form a plan for the year. Another thing I am going to do next year is go to the Jamila level I & II in June. In order to be ready for this I will be doing these things before then.
1. Learn the choreography for Raks El Zagat
2. Learn the choreography for Bal Anat Pot Dance
3. Work through the Jamila online classes.
4. Work my finger cymbals!!!!


So I am working my butt off and am excited to see how it unfolds. Where are those finger cymbals???

No comments:

Post a Comment