Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Arrived at the Mothership

Last year I said to Husband, I want to go to Berkeley for the summer. I want to train at The Mothership, Suhaila Salimpour's home studio. Of course he smiled at me, nodded and said ok...let's go. He talked to his work and they gave him the go ahead to work remotely for the summer.

Sunday morning I hit the road. I drove two very long days and arrived in Berkeley Monday evening. As I drove by the studio, in my car, with costumes, sewing machines, Little O's toys and two bikes on the back I had tears in my eyes. I didn't expect to feel so emotional. I was leaving my regular routine, my friends, part of my family and a Denver summer to come here. To sweat, to train and get one step closer to being the Bad Ass Belly dancer I am striving to be.

Yesterday I moved into my house for the next 6 weeks. There are so many bags, boxes and a variety of shoes laying around that it is sometimes hard to walk through the house. I was so tired from unloading the car, retrieving my items from storage and trying to make decisions that I just wanted to stay home last night and veg. But I didn't. I got myself together as much as I could and went to L1 & L2 class. I was so sweaty. (It was so humid!) I walk in and Andrea and Lori where both excited to see me and Andrea sold me my very first Suhaila Salimpour School of Belly Dance Class Card. Ashara was doing the warm up and Zoe Jakes was front and center in class. What an inspiration being in a room of people who are motivated to learn and work hard. All egos are checked at the door and everyone is working on their stuff. It is really an amazing place to be, and work.

Last night we were working on squares and somehow something really gelled for me. It was like my body decided to cooperate..of course it only came together sometimes..but it is those gems that push me forward..if I did it once I can do it again.

Today I have a phone coaching, I am going to join a gym, work on the Algerian and Raks El Zagat Choreography, and sew some more costumes. What a perfect day ahead of me...and the sun just came out from behind the clouds!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you Julianna! I can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete